On Mondays, Cathy from Rambling in the Garden encourages us to cut a few stems from our garden, plop or artistically pose them in a container, then photograph and share with others. Inspiration for my first vase started with a heavy and fat bit of a reddish cultivar of Sedum spectabile (now known as Hylotelephium spectabile) that was blocking the path to the side patio.
I needed something equally heavy and fat to put it in and thought of this orange glazed pot. I have three such pots, orange, green and blue-brown. I clearly remember purchasing them when I was in high school and for some reason they have remained and moved with me all these decades. Stamped ‘W. Germany’ on the bottom, with some numbers, I’ve used them mainly to hold smaller plastic pots of various plants. Perfect to repurpose it as an actual vase for this week’s arrangement. In order to hold the Sedum (and Tithonia, Verbena and Zinnia) in place, I folded a piece of repurposed chicken wire into the pot bottom. It worked really well!
Here’s the vase of flowers. As well as the Sedum and Verbena, I ‘repurposed’ a few stems from the previous vase – garlic chives (Allium tuberosum, still going strong, Zinnias, a single gladioli and a few new Tithonia):
A second vase this week is also repurposed, and was inspired by a suggestion from Cathy a few weeks ago, when I used a small glass canning jar with the metal rim as a vase. For this larger pasta sauce jar, I punched nine small holes through the lid, which lets slender stemmed flowers, such as Tithonia and Verbena bonariensis, stand straight and tall. I’ve had it on the back porch for a few weeks now, easily pulling out fading flowers and replacing them as needed; some of the holes are large enough for two stems.
We’re in for a few wet days this week, but then I’ll be pulling up gladiola corms, and prepping the kitchen garden, where I grow many flowers for cutting, for new tulip bulbs. First frost will likely be within the next three weeks, so lots to do in the meantime. Have a great week everyone!